Search This Blog

Friday 26 February 2021

Moonshot 5 Whys?

After our moonshot proposal, our next step was to be paired up to ask "5 Whys" to unpack the crux/heart of the challenge.
I was paired up with Janine Bava from Awapuni School (Gisborne) to ask the 5 Whys to her challenge. Her moonshot slide included her "Whys", where I found it difficult to ask questions, as the slides had answered most of my questions.  But it was good to korero with Janine to see her 'thinking process' strategy, that I have now started to use 5 Why's.  

While Rebecca Henderson from St Francis (Christchurch) asked me "5 Why" questions to help me unpack my problem.  I found the process quite thought-provoking, however, it helped me think what was the 'root' problem, instead of 'surface' challenges.

Below is 2 slides (Thanks to Dorothy) that show the questioning and our answers 
 


The 5 Whys method is part of the Toyota Production System. Developed by Sakichi Toyoda, a Japanese inventor and industrialist, the technique became an integral part of the Lean philosophy.  “The basis of Toyota’s scientific approach is to ask why five times whenever we find a problem … By repeating why five times, the nature of the problem as well as its solution becomes clear.“ Taiichi Ohno 


 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment