Search This Blog

Monday 7 June 2021

KPMG Session #2

Walking alongside the Viaduct Dock towards KPMG, always makes me feel like I'm getting ready to get 'super-charged'.  Meeting up with my fellow MITians to hear and share how we're progressing.  

From our last KPMG session, I struggled to have a clear process in my head about how I wanted to tackle my challenge which was "Supporting a large group of our Year 5 emerging bilingual students who are reading 2+ years below their reading age". 

So many great ideas were cast during the Teacher PD last day of Term 1.  However, a few things stood out for me.

What's working?
The continuous korero with senior colleagues and peers to incorporate ideas to develop our learner's comprehension.  Using Robyn Anderson's PD 'Getting the talking in reading', applying the modal verb questioning within our class discussions.  Using lexical chunking with our inquiry and writing.  

What's not? 
As it's taken a while to have a logical picture in my head, I've just started to apply a few of the above things to help me in my class.  Time constraints as well as my brain operating like 'Dial-up' internet.

What's next? 
Being able to start a framework to build their content knowledge and language acquisition, by using specific language focus, looking at the input (static images, signage, moving images, realia, experiences with authentic experience). with output through oral language.  (van Hees, J 2007).

 "Practice makes perfect" is my korero for my teaching & class.  As I've got a clearer image in my head of how this will work, I'm looking forward to the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment