Search This Blog

Monday 5 April 2021

KPMG Session #1

Prior to our first session at KPMG, I was mulling over our Kuaotunu Hui where my initial challenge is "Our Year 5 emerging bilinguals struggled with reading."  

Immediately after this Hui, Auckland was in Covid-19 level 3 lockdown.  Slowly returning back to level 1 on 12th March.  We nervously were preparing for our Year 5 & 6's annual camp.

With the interruptions we've had, I wasn't able to get a student/whanau voice for my challenge.  However, I was able to speak with a couple of colleagues who gave me insight that may have clouded my focus ... Eeek!!

After today's session, this is the 7th version of my challenge "Supporting a high proportion of our Year 5 emerging bilingual students, who are reading 2+ years below their reading age."

One of our founding MITians Ria Tuala's proposal was 'creating online resources to raise the literacy of Pasifika ESOL students'.  From my crazy 8's, my colleagues indicated to create resources, something similar MITian Amber Wing's product is 'Story-telling' using this resource to build a pro-type. 

The first part of our session was the 3 W's for our project.

What's working?  Still working on my statement and focus.  Support from my team members and other peers.  Looking at research for ESOL and digital.  Reading over previous MITian's project who have similar challenges.

What's not - barriers/road bumps: The majority of my class participate in the 'Agility With Sound' programme that runs in the morning space - doesn't allow me to spend much time with them.  Since our last Hui, we've had Covid-19 lockdown, which has pushed our events (Year 5&6 camp and Fiafia event) out including our testing.  Our class has slowly transitioned back to normal. 

What opportunities do you sense? Continue to interview/consult with external agencies as Mangere Refugee Centre, Marilyn Carroll, Dr Jannie van Hees (Language Minds), Dr Rae Si'liata (Va'atele Framework).  Collecting data.  

During this first session, I was unable to produce a draft prototype as I was still unclear about my challenge.  However, it was insightful listening to my other peers presents their prototype product.  Especially feedback from KPMG representative Justine Todd.   

No comments:

Post a Comment